(IBList user synopsis):
Have you ever been robbed, directly or by some high-tech snafu or manipulation? Are you positive you could plan the perfect crime (even though you'd never carry it out)? Or do you think that given all the clues you could solve any crime, outsmart any criminal? Well, here's your chance to match your wits with the pros who took up the challenge of creating and solving crimes that have not yet occurred. They run the gamut from low-tech to high, from activities against entire societies to one-on-one, completely personal crimes. Let sixteen master sleuths take you along on their crime beats future style with such cases as:
* He could tell the suitcase was valuable the minute he saw the foreigners fighting over it, but could a hill country native outsmart men equipped with the latest ways to deal death?
* The play's the thing...and even holographic actors should be able to help him convict the people he was certain had caused his father's death...
* When his computer system began to malfunction, what choice did he have but to let the building repairman in- but was he letting in a rescuer or a destroyer?
An anthology of 16 all-new stories edited by Martin H. Greenberg and John Helfers for DAW Books, 1999.
Contents, in alphabetical order of contributors:
- Pia and the King of Siam by Janet Berliner
- Glory Hand in the Soft City by Jay Bonansinga
- All the Unlived Moments by Gary Braunbeck
- The White City by Alan Brennert
- Setting Free the Daughters of Earth by Peter Crowther
- The Death of Winston Foster by R. Davis
- Pein Bek Longpela Telimpon by Alan Dean Foster
- Good Repair by Craig Shaw Gardner
- Tinker's Last Case by Ron Goulart
- The Crime of Transfiguration by Will Murray
- The Mojave Two-Step by Norman Partridge
- Shakespeare Minus One by Barbara Paul
- The Serpent Was More Subtle by Tom Piccirilli
- The Kidnapping of Roni Tahr by Alan Rodgers
- In Memoriam by Mike Stotter
- Sleep That Burns by Jerry Sykes
Original title: Future Crimes
Genre: Fiction→ Crime and Mystery
The following works are contained within this one:
Shakespeare Minus One (1999) [Short Story]
Author: Barbara Paul
All the Unlived Moments (1999) [Short Story]
Author: Gary A. Braunbeck