(From the publisher):
There was a greenish, hellish tinge to the light within the metal cube. It was a light that made the dead-white skin of the creature seated at the controls seem faintly green.'
This collection brings together a wide range of stories about aliens and encounters with aliens. Some are hostile invaders of Earth, others friendly and more generous visitors--though not all of them are as friendly as they would like us to believe.
The stories range back into time and deep into the future. You can invade the moon, hunt and be hunted, encounter Judgement Day and the end of the world, and have an alien as a pen pal (not advisable).
On Earth you'll meet Keva, the genius from Planet Echo; the father-thing (from who knows where); the warrior Broghoke, the savages who threaten the underdwellers; and the snake-like, hypnotic Fascinators. Out in Space you will be abducted with Tina to the planet Shana; meet the beautiful metamorph Rea; and suffer within Itin the crisis of faith that faces the innocent amphibians of planet Wesker. And more.
Some of the stories are by well-known science fiction writers such as Arthur C. Clarke, Avram Davidson, Philip K. Dick, Harry Harrison, and A.E. van Vogt; others, by Marian Abbey, Francis Beckett, Stephen Bowkett, and Sue Welford have been specially written for this exciting and enthralling book.
- Encounter at Dawn by Arthur C. Clarke
- Day of Succession by Theodore L. Thomas
- Not Yet the End by Fredric Brown
- The Star Beast by Nicholas Stuart Grey
- Judgement Day by Francis Beckett
- The Holiday-Makers by Roger Malisson
- The Father-Thing by Philip K. Dick
- Space-Born by Robert Bloch
- Earth Surrenders by Barbara Paul
- The Underdweller by William F. Nolan
- To Serve Man by Damon Knight
- The Bounty Hunter by Avram Davidson
- Eight O’Clock in the Morning by Ray Nelson
- Dear Pen Pal by A. E. van Vogt
- Sweets from a Stranger by Nicholas Fisk
- The Chase by Stephen Bowkett
- The Pair by Joe L. Hensley
- Star Daughter by Sue Welford
- Keyhole by Murray Leinster
- The Streets of Ashkelon by Harry Harrison
- Starbride by Anthony Boucher
- Out of the Everywhere by Marian Abbey
Original title: The Young Oxford Book of Aliens
Genre: Fiction→ Children & Young Adult→ Science Fiction→ Aliens
The following works are contained within this one:
To Serve Man (1950) [Short Story]
Author: Damon Knight
Keyhole (1951) [Short Story]
Author: Murray Leinster
Father-Thing, the (1954) [Short Story]
Author: Philip K. Dick
Streets of Ashkelon, the (1962) [Short Story]
Author: Harry Harrison