(From the publisher):
The overwhelming power of massed starship armadas can be undone in a moment - by the subtle power of illusion, as demonstrated in this collection of stories by the master of humorous science Fiction adventure, including:
- The full-length novel, The Day the Machines Stopped - and what happens, not just to civilisation, but to humanity and its chances of survival when all the machines stop working at once?
- A man is captured by aliens who are investigating the Earth as a possible target for colonization. The aliens have science and technology far in advance of humans - but, unfortunately for them, they have never developed the human art of bluffing.
- For the first time in book form, Anvil's stories of Richard Verner, who is called in to solve apparently insoluble problems, such as explaining why experimental missiles keep failing for no apparent reason, or locating a kidnapped judge, or even solving an inexplicable murder that's interrupting his vacation.
And much more, in a generous volume of sardonically humorous science fiction.
- I. RESEARCH EAST
- A Taste of Poison
- The Gold of Galileo
- The Day the Machines Stopped
- II. SOLVER OF PROBLEMS
- The Missile Smasher
- The Problem Solver and the Killer
- The Hand from the Past
- The Problem Solver and the Hostage
- The Problem Solver and the Defector
- Key to the Crime
- The Problem Solver and the Burned Letter
- III. PROBLEMS, SNAFUS, AND FUBARS
- Warped Clue
- The Coward
- A Sense of Disaster
- Destination Unknown
- High Road to the East
- A Tourist Named Death
- The Knife and the Sheath
- The Anomaly
- In the Light of Further Data
- Apron Chains
- The Power of Illusion
Original title: The Power of Illusion
Genre: Fiction→ Science Fiction
No members of this collection were found in our database.