(From the publisher):
Compiled by Charles Dickens, and counting Elizabeth Gaskell and Wilkie Collins among its contributors, The Haunted House is an ingenious tale of the supernatural with touches of pure Dickensian comedy.
When the narrator espies a deserted house from his railway carriage, he determines to take up residence. But local legend has it that this is a haunted house and no servant will dare enter employment. Refusing to be thwarted, he instead invites a number of acquaintances to join him, commissioning each with the task of routing out any supernatural inhabitants. As they gather together on twelfth night, each recounts his version of the ghostly activities...
- Mortals in the House by Charles Dickens
- Ghost in the Clock Room by Hesba Stretton
- Ghost in the Double Room by George Augustus Sala
- Ghost in the Picture Room by Adelaide Anne Procter
- Ghost in the Cupboard Room by Wilkie Collins
- Ghost in Master B.'s Room by Charles Dickens
- Ghost in the Garden Room by Elizabeth Gaskell
- Ghost in the Corner Room by Charles Dickens
Original title: The Haunted House
Genre: Fiction→ Horror→ Haunted Houses
Fiction→ General Fiction→ Humor
Fiction→ General Fiction→ Literary Fiction/classics
No members of this anthology were found in our database.