(From the publisher):
It is 1984, and Kate Meaney, "Top Secret" notebook and toy monkey in tow, is hard at work as a junior detective. Busy trailing "suspects" and carefully observing everything around her at the newly opened Green Oaks shopping mall, she forms an unlikely friendship with Adrian, the son of a local shopkeeper. But when this curious, spirited young girl disappears, Adrian falls under suspicion and is hounded out of his home by the press.
In 2003, Adrian's sister Lisa is working as a manager at Your Music, a discount record store. Every day she tears her hair out at the outrageous behavior of her customers and colleagues. But along with Kurt, a security guard with a sleep disorder, she becomes entranced by the little girl they keep glimpsing on the security cameras. As Kurt and Lisa's after-hours friendship grows in intensity, it brings new loss and new longing to light.
Original title: What Was Lost
Genre: Fiction→ Crime and Mystery→ Detective Story and Detectives
Fiction→ Horror→ Ghosts
- Winner 2007 Costa First Novel Award
- Shortlisted for the Commonwealth Writers Prize, Best First Book (Europe and South Asia)
- Longlisted for the 2007 Man Booker Prize
- Shortlisted for the Guardian First Book Award
- Longlisted for the Orange Broadband Prize