(From the publisher):
Horror stories to freeze your blood, by twelve Masters of the Malevolent:
The Victim - 'Stephen took his victim's body out of the bath, wrapped a thick towel round the neck and neck and carried it down to the dairy. And there he cut it up into seventeen pieces'.
The Spider - 'She heard a terrible, haunting scream - then a curious muffled rumble that a creature with eight long legs might make if it were running'.
The Killing Bottle - 'The butterfly must have been stronger than it looked; its frantic fluttering could be heard through the thick walls of its glass prison. It pressed itself into corners, its straining, delicate tongue coiling and uncoiling in its efforts to suck in a breath of living air'.
Another superb Fontana collection of little-known horror stories.
- The Spider by Elizabeth Walter
- The Book by Margaret Irwin
- Something Strange by Kingsley Amis
- Satan's Circus by Lady Eleanor Smith
- The Photograph by Nigel Kneale
- The Beast With Five Fingers by William Fryer Harvey
- As Gay As Cheese by Joan Aiken
- The Hound Of Death by Agatha Christie
- Judith by Hjalmar Bergman
- The Victim by May Sinclair
- The House On Big Faraway by Norman Watson
- The Killing Bottle by L. P. Hartley
Original title: The 2nd Fontana Book of Great Horror Stories
Alternative titles: The Second Fontana Book of Great Horror Stories
Genre: Fiction→ Horror→ General
The following works are contained within this one:
Beast with Five Fingers, the (1928) [Novelette]
Author: W. F. Harvey
Book, the (1930) [Short Story]
Author: Margaret Irwin