(From the publisher):
Russia produced more notable dramas in the twentieth century than at any other time in its history, yet many of the plays from this period have been only sporadically available in English, and others have never been translated before. For each of these eight works, Timothy Langen and Justin Weir provide an insightful introduction to the literary, cultural, and political contexts in which the plays first appeared, considering the influence that various literary movements had on the development of Russian drama and exploring the effect of the increasingly politicized climate of the new Soviet state.
Edited, translated from the Russian and with an introduction by Timothy Langen and Justin Weir.
- Sacred Blood by Zinaida Gippius
- The Unknown Woman by Alexander Blok
- Vladimir Mayakovsky by Vladimir Mayakovsky
- The Case of the Entry Room by Victor Ardov
- Squaring the Circle by Valentin Kataev
- Elizaveta Bam by Daniil Kharms
- Grain by Vladimir Kirshon
- The Guests by Leonid Zorin
Original title: Eight Twentieth-Century Russian Plays
Genre: Drama and Plays→ Russian
No members of this anthology were found in our database.