(From the publisher):
The 22nd Century. Mankind is free from the age-old misery and poverty that have kept it in bondage, free to create a new world, to explore the universe, to confront the mysteries of human existence.
Russia's greatest S-F writeres, Arkday and Boris Strugatsky, have produced a futuristic masterpiece of epic proportions and breathtaking vision.
Two interplanetary adventurers hurtle through space at a speed faster than light, and are flung a hundred years into the 22nd century. They find themselves on a planet both like and unlike the earth they abandoned so very long ago--and so recently.
It is a planet ruled by wisdom, where automated farms feed tens million inhabitants, where a complete system of moving roads brings the farthest outposts into close communion, where an advanced science in mechanization approaches the mysterious complexity of life itself. Here all effort is bound to the exhilarating art if discovery--way below the planet's waters, deep into the endless reaches of space and far beyond the boundless zones of the human mind.
- Night on Mars
- Almost the Same
- The Conspirators
- Two from the Taimyr
- The Moving Roads
- Langour of the Spirit
- The Assaultmen
- Deep Search
- The Mystery of the Hind Leg
- Candles Before the Control Board
- Natural Science in the Spirit World
ilgrims and Wayfarers
- The Planet with all the Conveniences
- The Meeting
- What You Will Be Like
Original title: Полдень. XXII век
Genre: Fiction→ Science Fiction→ Planets & Societies
- First published as a novel made up of 10 linked short stories. Revised for a 1962 reprinting that included 16 stories. The novel reached its final, twenty-story, form was when it was further revised for a 1967 reprint .