(From the publisher):
This sparkling new anthology of 26 stories of mystery and intrigue ranges over three thousand years, from Ancient Babylon to spies on the Titanic
. Mike Ashley's third collection in this hugely successful series includes brand new tales as well as rare reprints from writers such as Ian Rankin, Lynda S. Robinson, Margaret Frazer and Peter Tremayne - with characters ranging from the Queen of Sheba to Chaucer, Henry the Navigator to Benjamin Franklin.
- An intriguing case for Irish religieuse Sister Fidelma in "The Spiteful Shadow" by Peter Tremayne.
- Sheriff Pieter Tonneman investigates in New Amsterdam in Maan Meyers' "The Dutchman and the Wrongful Heir."
- The further adventures of mischievous Roman minx Claudia Seferius during the reign of Augustus, in "Cupid's Arrow" by Marilyn Todd.
- Personal escort Cullender knows too well the perils of eighteenth-century Edinburgh in Ian Rankin's "The Serpent's Back."
- Murder amidst the pomp of the Queen of Sheba's amazing journey to Solomon's court, in "Death in the Desert" by Jean Davidson.
- Clever sleuthing by Geoffrey Chaucer in Cherith Baldry's version of "The Duke's Tale."
- Famed historian Herodotus turns detective in "The Oracle of Amun" by Mary Reed and Eric Mayer.
Edited by Edgar Award winner Mike Ashley.
- Foreword: Three Thousand years of Crime by Mike Ashley
- His Master's Servant by Philip Boast
- Death in the Desert by Jean Davidson
- The Judgment of the Gods by Rob Reginald
- The Oracle of Amun by Mary Reed and Eric Mayer
- Cupid's Arrow by Marilyn Todd
- The Spiteful Shadow by Peter Tremayne
- Catherine and the Sybil by Sharan Newman
- The Jester and the Mathematician by Alan R. Gordon
- The Duke's Tale by Cherith Baldry
- Sea of Darkness by Sarah A. Hoyt
- The Stone-Worker's Tale by Margaret Frazer
- The Witching Hour by Martin Edwards
- The Dutchman and the Wrongful Heir by Maan Meyers
- If Serpents Envious by Clayton Emery
- The Uninvited Guest by Edward D. Hoch
- Benjamin's Trap by Richard Moquist
- The Serpent's Back by Ian Rankin
- Botanist at Bay by Edward Marston
- The Living and the Dead by Judith Cutler
- Footprints by Jeffery Farnol
- The Tenth Commandment by Melville Davisson Post
- Murder in Old Manhattan by Frank Bonham
- The Abolitionist by Lynda S. Robinson
- Poisoned with Politeness by Gillian Linscott
- Threads of Scarlet by Claire Griffen
- The Gentleman on the Titanic by John Lutz
Original title: The Mammoth Book of New Historical Whodunnits
Genre: Fiction→ Crime and Mystery→ Detective Story and Detectives→ Historical
The following works are contained within this one:
Oracle of Amun, the (2005) [Short Story]
Authors: Mary Reed
, Eric Mayer