(From the publisher):
You hold in your hands what is perhaps the most explicit and overt anthology of original horror fiction ever assembled.
Each of the stories in this anthology is set in a world where the dead have risen to eat the living, and each author has his own intimate version of what those days will be like: in the brilliant and caustic "On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert with Dead Folks," Joe R. Lansdale spins what should be a traditional western yarn about a lawman tracking a badman -- the deadly dead, however, give that tradition a special twist. Stephen King's pregnant heroine in "Home Delivery" learns the exorbitant price of survival and of patience; Robert R. McCammon's "Eat Me" answers all the questions about love among the newly risen; and Douglas E. Winter's "Less Than Zombie" allows us a very unhealthy peek at the pampered, exclusive, and totally lifeless life-styles of the rich and famous.
Together these stories are a stream of timeless, mind-blowing spike points by some of the most talented, savage, and unique imaginations writing fiction today.
This is a book filled with flaming, frozen moments of dread and wonder you will never in a million years forget.
This is a book that goes too far...
and invites you along for the ride.
- Foreword by George A. Romero
- Introduction: On Going Too Far by Craig Spector and John Skipp
- Blossom by Chan McConnell
- Mess Hall by Richard Laymon
- It Helps if you Sing by Ramsey Campbell
- Home Delivery by Stephen King
- Wet Work by Philip Nutman
- A Sad Last Love at the Diner of the Damned by Edward Bryant
- Bodies and Heads by Steve Rasnic Tem
- Choices by Glen Vasey
- The Good Parts by Les Daniels
- Less Than Zombie by Douglas E. Winter
- Like Pavlov's Dogs by Steven R. Boyett
- Saxophone by Nicholas Royle
- On the Far Side of the Cadillac Desert with Dead Folks by Joe R. Lansdale
- Dead Giveaway by Brian Hodge
- Jerry's Kids Meet Wormboy by David J. Schow
- Eat Me by Robert R. McCammon
Original title: Book of the Dead
Genre: Fiction→ Horror→ Zombies
The following works are contained within this one:
Sad Last Love at the Diner of the Damned, a (1989) [Short Story]
Author: Ed Bryant
Home Delivery (1989) [Novelette]
Author: Stephen King
Less Than Zombie (1989) [Short Story]
Author: Douglas E. Winter
It Helps If You Sing (1989) [Short Story]
Author: Ramsey Campbell
Mess Hall (1989) [Short Story]
Author: Richard Laymon
- Nominated for the 1990 World Fantasy Award, Best Anthology