(From the publisher):
The Grail Quest is one of the most crucial themes in the Arthurian legend. It is the quest for ultimate redemption, and ultimate perfection, for only the pure in heart will gain the Grail. Many knights - among them Lancelot, Galahad, Gawain, even Arthur himself - set out on this Quest, although only one succeeds.
But what was the Grail, and what of the other elements in the legend, such as the Fisher King? This superb new collection of stories follows The Pendragon, The Camelot and The Merlin Chronicles, but this time concentrating on all aspects of the Grail legend.
Phyllis Ann Karr tracks the ultimate quest of Sir Galahad
Steve Lockley brings together the Grail and the Wandering Jew
Brian Stableford unites two legends in "The Lost Romance"
Keith Taylor follows the quest of Sir Gareth
Peter Valentine Timlett reveals the tortures of Sir Lancelot's quest
Peter Tremayne unravels the origins of the legend in "The Magic Bowl"
plus Tanith Lee, Darrell Schweitzer, Parke Godwin and many other writers who reveal the history of the Grail.
There are new stories specially commissioned for this volume, reprints of rare Grail fiction for the Arthurian scholar, and a wide-ranging introduction to the Grail legend, its characters and events.
Edited by Mike Ashley
- Dramatis Personae: A guide to Arthurian characters
- Introduction: The Holy Grail by Mike Ashley
- The Magic Bowl by Peter Tremayne
- Maidens of the Grael by Peter Valentine Timlett
- The Story of Peredur by Lady Charlotte Guest (1849)
- Hunt of the Hart Royal by Cherith Baldry
- The Castles of Testing by Keith Taylor
- The Legend of Sir Dinar by Arthur Quiller-Couch (1895)
- Galahadís Lady by Phyllis Ann Karr
- Shrouded in Mist by Lawrence Schimel & Mark A. Garland
- The Unwanted Grail by Darrell Schweitzer
- The Figure in Darkness by Ken Alden
- The Treasures of Britain by Heather Rose Jones
- Honour Before Glory by Steve Lockley
- The Kingdoms of the Air by Tanith Lee (1988)
- The Secret History by Peter T. Garratt
- An Idyll of the Grail by Phyllis Ann Karr
- Launcelotís Grail by by Peter Valentine Timlett
- Reliquary by F. Gwynplaine MacIntyre
- Peronnik the Fool by George Moore (1921)
- The Last Rainbow by Parke Godwin (1978)
- The Lost Romance by Brian Stableford
- The Great Return by Arthur Machen (1915)
Original title: The Chronicles of the Holy Grail
Genre: Mythology→ Retellings→ Celtic and Arthurian
Fiction→ Fantasy→ Saga, Myth, and Legend→ Arthurian Legend
The following works are contained within this one:
Kingdoms of the Air, the (1988) [Short Story]
Author: Tanith Lee