(From the publisher):
The age of tall ships and cannon fire - when the seamanship and derring-do of British sailors was shown time and again aboard the great ships that sailed for trade, discovery or warfare.
In this wonderful new collection, Mike Ashley has gathered together many of our best-loved writers of seafaring stories, whose tales of storms and shipwrecks, the great sea battles of the Napoleonic era, and the sheer, dangerous excitement of life before the mast, come across so tellingly in these vivid accounts.
Patrick O'Brien sends his hero, Captain Jack Aubrey, into an enthralling action against the French in the Indian Ocean.
Kenneth Bulmer's George Abercrombie Fox takes part in a desperate rescue from a stricken vessel at the height of a storm.
Richard Butler - a new story, and a most unusual encounter arising from the belief that the French are plotting to seize Tasmania.
C.S. Forester - a rare Hornblower story, in which he tries to help the Spanish prisoners in the Balearics, but finds himself in trouble.
Richard Woodman - a new adventure, in which the young Nathaniel Drinkwater pits his wits and seamanship against the most implacable of all his enemies.
PLUS many new and classic stories from many others, and with a new introduction by Alexander Kent.
Edited by Mike Ashley.
- Introduction by Mike Ashley
- Foreword by Alexander Kent
- The Steeple Rock by Richard Woodman
- Siege of Toulon by Showell Styles
- Billy Budd by Herman Melville
- The Rescue by Kenneth Bulmer (extract from The Siege)
- A Midshipman at Copenhagen by John Finlayson (non-fiction)
- The Battle of Elepant Bay by Richard Butler
- The China Fleet by Patrick O'Brien (extract from H.M.S. Surprise)
- The Enemy Within by Jane Jackson
- The Victory by John Frizell
- A Murderous Conflict by Frederick Marryat (extract from Mr Midshipman Easy)
- Hornblower's Charitable Offering by C.S. Forester
- The Escape Agents by C.J. Cutliffe Hyne
- The Commander's Wife by Harriet Hudson
- Davy Jones and the Yankee Privateer by Michael Scott (extract from Tom Cringle's Log)
- The Nantucket Sleigh-Ride by Peter T. Garratt
- Dawn's Early Light by Kenneth B. Atkinson
- The Last Battle by Walter Wood
- The Stolen Command by Walter Jon Williams
- Appendix: A Guide to Sea Stories of the Period 1790-1820
Original title: The Mammoth Book of Men O' War
Genre: Fiction→ Adventure→ Military and Naval Adventure
The following works are contained within this one:
Billy Budd (1924) [Novella]
Author: Herman Melville
This work contains excerpts from the following works :
Tom Cringle's Log (1833) [Novel]
Author: Michael Scott
Mr Midshipman Easy (1836) [Novel]
Author: Frederick Marryat
Siege (1973) [Novel]
Author: Adam Hardy
H.M.S. Surprise (1973) [Novel]
Author: Patrick O'Brian