(From the publisher):
Edited by: Janet Berliner, David Copperfield and Martin H. Greenberg.
Like its triumphant predecessor, the first volume in David Copperfield's ongoing collection of his favorite writers, this is far more than just a book: it is a dazzling miracle show in which unique literary talents are displayed with the incomparable showmanship of the world's most acclaimed illusionist. In a truly remarkable publishing event, some of today's most celebrated authors have been summoned onstage and have been asked to perform their own special wizardry for a legendary performer's millions of dedicated fans.
David Copperfield, considered by both his colleagues and his vast audience to be the greatest stage illusionist of all time, understands the passion and power of fantastic literature, and he knows how to present it to its full advantage. For this latest collection, the authors he most admires have been invited to do what they do best - mystify and enrapture, dazzle and delight, conjure marvels and summon nightmares in a spectacular display of all new, all original stories.
Copperfield's second invitation-only volume includes such masters of literary talent as Neil Gaimon, Peter S. Beagle, Anne McCaffrey,Tad Williams, Greg Bear, Katherine Dunn, and the grand illusionist himself. Each arrives on stage with an original story written especially for this spectacular presentation. Here, in the realms of Beyond Imagination, you will meet the girl who made the magician disappear...the alien who conquered Las Vegas...the sorcerer who was too good at sorcery. Here you will find oil from a corpse that leads to love or insanity...the 12th-century city that appears once a year in downtown Chicago...the secret voodoo activities in modern San Francisco.
All these wonders and more are brought to life with fascinating flourishes and inimitable style in this critically and popularly acclaimed new series. Each story and each author is introduced by David Copperfield himself.
- Eagle by David Copperfield
- 16 Mins. by Eric Lustbader
- Disillusion by Edward Bryant
- The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of by Tad Williams
- The Allies by Katherine Dunn
- The Magician of Karakosk by Peter S. Beagle
- The N Auntie by Anne McCaffrey
- The Fall of the House of Escher by Greg Bear
- Chin Oil by George Guthridge
- Crossing Into the Empire by Robert Silverberg
- Natasha’s Bedroom by Robyn Carr
- TechnoMagic by Kevin J. Anderson
- The Queen of Hearts and Swords by Karen Joy Fowler
- The Invisibles by Charles de Lint
- A Cascade of Lies by Steve Rasnic Tem
- The Goldfish Pool and Other Stories by Neil Gaiman
- Humpty Dumpty Was a Runner by Janet Berliner
Original title: David Copperfield's Beyond Imagination
Genre: Fiction→ Fantasy
The following works are contained within this one:
Fall of the House of Escher, the (1996) [Short Story]
Author: Greg Bear
Queen of Hearts and Swords, the (1996) [Short Story]
Author: Karen Joy Fowler
Goldfish Pool and Other Stories, the (1996) [Short Story]
Author: Neil Gaiman
Disillusion (1996) [Short Story]
Author: Ed Bryant