(From the publisher):
Bram Stoker Award-winning editor Al Sarrantonio follows up his critically acclaimed Redshift
with the fantasy publishing event of the year. Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
is an all-new daring, star-packed anthology showcasing some of the genre's biggest names – and best newcomers.
In Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction, Al Sarrantonio handpicked thirty extraordinary works from established masters and promising newcomers in the field of speculative fiction. The result was an anthology that continued the science fiction landmark "Dangerous Visions' tradition of literate, cohesive, well-plotted stories untrammelled by inhibitions or prohibitions" (Chicago Sun-Times).
Now Sarrantonio has assembled another stellar assortment of bestselling and award-winning authors and challenged them to come up with the best fantasy story they've ever written – the one they've always wanted to write – with literary excellence in mind and without restrictions of any kind. The result is Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy -- a highly original collection that sets the standard for fantasy in the twenty-first century. Fantasy as literature. Fantasy that reinvigorates and expands the field's horizons. Fantasy that takes the reader into the next millennium of human imagination…
- The Sorcerer's Apprentice by Robert Silverberg
- Perpetua by Kit Reed
- The Edges of Never-Haven by Catherine Asaro
- Pat Moore by Tim Powers
- [scribble] : Six Hypotheses by Joyce Carol Oates
- The Silver Dragon by Elizabeth A. Lynn
- Fallen Angel by L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
- The Following by P.D. Cacek
- A Tower With No Doore by Dennis L. McKiernan
- Boomerang by Larry Niven
- Wonderwall by Elizabeth Hand
- Blood, Oak, Iron by Janny Wurts
- Riding Shotgun by Charles de Lint
- Demons Hide Their Faces by A.A. Attanasio
- Relations by Nina Kiriki Hoffman
- Tourists by Neal Barrett, Jr.
- The White Man by Thomas M. Disch
- Out of the Woods by Patricia A. McKillip
- Perchance to Dream by David Morrell
- Coming Across by Harry Turtledove
- The Problem of Susan by Neil Gaiman
- Keeper of Lost Dreams by Orson Scott Card
- Watchfire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts
- Tots by Peter Schneider
- Jupiter's Skull by Jeffrey Ford
- Death's Door by Terry Bisson
- Bill, the Little Steam Shovel by Joe R. Lansdale
- Sleepover by Al Sarrantonio
- Golden City Far by Gene Wolfe
Original title: Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
Genre: Fiction→ Fantasy
The following works are contained within this one:
Fallen Angel (2004) [Short Story]
Author: L.E. Modesitt, Jr.