(From the publisher):
"The dog is, I think, one of the more successful animals that man has domesticated."
So observes world-renowned animal-lover Gerald Durrell in his witty introduction to this wonderful collection of animal antics, Best Dog Stories.
Dogs have always been man's best friend, and this volume supplies us with theories why from some of the world's best wordsmiths. From the get-go this is a volume that truly lives up to its name, with twenty-two works from mmagificent authors, including those who are famous for their animal stories - James Herriot, W.H. Hudson, and Jack London- and some surprise animal portraitists who will delight you with their views on the canine world: the classic O. Henry, poignant Virginia Woolf, and the merrily wistful Colette. Also included, and written especially for this volume, is a delightful tale by Joyce Stranger.
"No life is complete without a dog," states Gerald Durrell, yet you may want to keep clear of the specimen in G.K. Chesterton's The Oracle of the Dog. And wry P.G. Wodehouse will keep you in stitches with his reflections on Stiffy, a Beverly Hills pooch caught up in the affected world of show-biz in Gone Wrong. The other stories are warm and interesting in their own right, as they reveal to us a key to the complex logic of all dogs. In Best Dog Stories, we find some dogs that we may have known in our own lives, and we can laugh along with these wonderful writers as they spin each animal's magical tale. Best Dog Stories just may by man's second-best friend.
Edited by Lesley O'Mara.
- Introduction by Gerald Durrell
- Can I Be Your Dog? by Eric Parker
- Memoirs of a Yellow Dog by O. Henry
- Tricki Woo by James Herriot
- Having No Hearts by Sir Hugh Walpole
- Comet by Samuel A. Derieux
- For the Love of a Man by Jack London
- The Coming of Riquet by Anatole France
- Jimmy, the Dog in My Life by Sir Arthur Bryant
- 'Teem': a Treasure-Hunter by Rudyard Kipling
- Gone Wrong by P.G. Wodehouse
- The Great Lad by Joyce Stranger
- Bunch by James Douglas
- Dogs in a Big Way by Kenneth and Anna Roberts
- Montmorency by Jerome K. Jerome
- Some Sunnybank Dogs by Albert Payson Terhune
- Let Us Have a Mongrel Dog Show by Cecil Aldin
- Dandy, the Story of a Dog by W.H. Hudson
- Verdun Belle by Alexander Woollcott
- The Oracle of the Dog by G.K. Chesterton
- The Bitch by Colette
- Intelligent and Loyal by Jilly Cooper
- The End by Virginia Woolf
Original title: Best Dog Stories
Genre: Fiction→ General Fiction→ Animals
The following works are contained within this one:
Oracle of the Dog, the (1923) [Short Story]
Author: G. K. Chesterton