(From the publisher):
Literary love stories begin where the love stories of popular culture end. They are not so much about falling in love as about what happens next - an ever after not always lived so happily. Collected in The Literary Lover are twenty stories of infatuation and devotion, bliss and heartbreak, fading ardor and intense eroticism, written by some of the greatest contemporary masters of the short story.
Among the lovers to be found in these pages are a beautiful woman drawn to ugly men; a man of seventy writing a letter to his wife of many years; a virgin bride; a revolutionary on the lam; a sadist and a masochist not quite in sync with each other; an abandoned wife living in a small apartment with four young children; a real estate broker whose love for another man destroys his marriage; a girl with a high-school reputation for promiscuity who recaptures her chastity in college; a married couple on a European vacation in the aftermath of a miscarriage; and an estranged couple in Africa pursuing intentionally hurtful extramarital affairs.
The expressions of love range from an innocent declaration to a calculated seduction. Each story treats the subject of romantic love in an original way, with clarity and truthfulness.
- Introduction by Larry Dark
- The Faces of Madness by Rachel Ingalls
- The Sledding Party by Steven Millhauser
- Graduation by Andre Dubus
- The Most Beautiful Woman in Town by Charles Bukowski
- Innocence by Harold Brodkey
- A Romantic Weekend by Mary Gaitskill
- Morning by Joyce Carol Oates
- Jewel of the Moon by William Kotzwinkle
- The Costa Brave, 1959 by Ward Just
- An Interest in Life by Grace Paley
- Houses by David Leavitt
- Come to Africa and Save Your Marriage by Maria Thomas
- The Lover by Alice Walker
- Safe Houses by Nadine Gordimer
- Frank and Billy by Laurie Colwin
- Love Song, for a Moog Synthesizer by John Updike
- The Love Object by Edna O'Brien
- Instruments of Seduction by Norman Rush
- The Habit of Loving by Doris Lessing
- Letter to the Lady of the House by Richard Bausch
Original title: The Literary Lover: Great Contemporary Stories of Passion and Romance
Genre: Fiction→ Romance
Fiction→ General Fiction→ Literary Fiction/classics
No members of this anthology were found in our database.