(From the publisher):
As in his previous collection, Agha Shahid Ali excavates the devastation wrought upon Kasimir, his childhood home. But here he reveals a more personal devastation: his mother's death and the journey with her body back to Kashmir. Binding these poems is a virtuosic use of both given and open formsócanzones, sonnets, ghazals, terza rima, prose poems, and Sapphics. To these demanding forms, Ali brings a conversational ease that belies his virtuosity. The result is a poetry of stunning inventiveness, infused with passion and grief.
- Lenox Hill
- From Amherst to Kashmir
1. Karbala: A History of the "House of Sorrow"
2. Zainab's Lament in Damascus
3. Summers of Translation
4. Above the Cities
: 6. New Delhi Airport
7. Film Bhajan Found on a 78 RPM
8. Srinagar Airport
10. Ghalib's Ghazal
11. The Fourth Day
12. By the Waters of the Sind
- Rooms Are Never Finished
- Barcelona Airport
- A Secular Comedy
- The Nature of Temporal Order
- On Hearing a Lover Not Seen for Twenty Years Has Attempted Suicide
- Suicide Note
- The Purse-Seiner Atlantis
- Evening Stars Over Andalusia
1. On our last evening on this land
2. How can I write above the clouds?
3. There is a sky beyond the sky for me
4. I am one of the kings of the end
5. One day I will sit on the pavement
6. Truth has two faces and the snow is black
7. Who am I after the night of the estranged?
8. O water, be a string to my guitar
9. In the exodus I love your more
10. I want from love only the beginning
- I Dream I Am at the Ghat of the Only World
Original title: Rooms Are Never Finished
Genre: Poetry→ Verse
No members of this collection were found in our database.