(From the publisher):
Edited by: John Miller & Tim Smith
San Francisco is the ideal place for murder, mystery, and malevolence. Far beneath the swinging coils of the Golden Gate Bridge, in a dank set of abandoned prison cells, a strange caretaker with evil intentions plots his nefarious deeds. Atop the hills of Pacific Heights, an innocent young woman rides an evening cable car, stalked by her handsome fiance. In a seedy bar on Fifth Street, a stone-faced man awaits his next victim.
These and other eerie and exciting stories can be found in San Francisco Thrillers, the first anthology of mysteries and thrillers set in the City by the Bay, and illustrated with the haunting vintage photographs of Francis Bruguiere.
Included among other infamous pieces are the heart-stopping rooftop scene from Alfred Hitchchock's film Vertigo, the sad tale of an otherworldly spirit in Ambrose Bierce's "Beyond the Wall," the shocking true story of the horrific church tower murder in Hildegarde Teilhet's "The Demon in the Belfry," and the escapades of classic character Ironside. San Francisco Thrillers captures the biggest mysteries and tallest tales from the city where the devious is commonplace and the wicked, desirable.
- Itís a Lousy World by Bill Pronzini
- Fly Paper by Dashiell Hammett
- The Demon in the Belfry by Hildegarde Teilhet
- The Second Coming by Joseph N. Gores
- Ironside by Jim Thompson
- The Phosphorescent Bride by Oscar Lewis
- Vertigo by Alfred Hitchcock
- Follow That Car! by Mabel Maney
- Beyond the Wall by Ambrose Bierce
- Deceptions by Marcia Muller
- Heat Lightning by John Lantigua
- Murder on the Run by Gloria White
- Kearny Street Ghost Story by Mark Twain
Original title: San Francisco Thrillers: True Crimes and Dark Mysteries from the City by the Bay
Genre: Fiction→ Crime and Mystery
The following works are contained within this one:
Deceptions (1987) [Short Story]
Author: Marcia Muller