(IBList user synopsis):
From Anchorage to the Chilkoot Pass, from the Klondike gold rush to the present day, this one-of-a-kind collection of original mystery stories has a little bit of everything Alaskan. With mysteries as icy as the rugged landscape, Alaskan authors and Alaska lovers give readers a glimpse into what makes this place so alluring—and mysterious....
The Mysterious North
- In Anne Perry’s “Rearrangements,” three sisters turn on each other even as they contend with the Good Friday Earthquake of 1964.
- In John Straley’s “Finding Lou,” an Alaskan detective becomes his own worst enemy as he searches for a fisherman who may be a murderer.
- Based on true crime events, Sue Henry’s “Losing Streak” offers a glimpse into the mind of a burglar who has unwittingly made a career out of getting caught.
- In “Cheechako” by Dana Stabenow, a group sets out over the Chilkoot Trail to claim their fortune in the Klondike gold fields, and not even murder can keep them from their dreams.
- In “Going Home” by S. J. Rozan, an Alaskan private investigator tracks down a man’s brother in New York City. But does the brother really want to be found?
- In Donna Andrews’s “An Unkindness of Ravens,” nature and myth partner up to put an abusive husband in his place.
- In “A Little Walk Home,” Michael Armstrong’s protagonist triumphs over five hundred miles of Alaskan bush to emerge again into civilization.
- In “The Twin” by Brad Reynolds, Native Alaskan culture steps in when a ceremonial mask comes to life.
- Introduction by Dana Stabenow · in
- An Unkindness of Ravens by Donna Andrews · ss *
- A Little Walk Home by Michael Armstrong · nv *
- War Can Be Murder by Mike Doogan · nv *
- All That Glitters by Kate Grilley · ss *
- Losing Streak by Sue Henry · ss *
- Rearrangements by Anne Perry · ss *
- The Twin by Brad Reynolds · nv *
- Terminal by Kim Rich · nv *
- Going Home by S. J. Rozan · ss *
- The Word for Breaking August Sky by James Sarafin · ss AHMM Jul ’95
- Cheechako by Dana Stabenow · nv *
- Finding Lou by John Straley · ss *
- About the Authors · Misc. · bg
Edited by: Dana Stabenow
Original title: The Mysterious North
Genre: Fiction→ Crime and Mystery
The following works are contained within this one:
Word for Breaking August Sky, the (1995) [Short Story]
Author: James Sarafin
All That Glitters (2002) [Short Story]
Author: Kate Grilley
Unkindness of Ravens, an (2002) [Short Story]
Author: Donna Andrews
Finding Lou (2002) [Short Story]
Author: John Straley
Terminal (2002) [Short Story]
Author: Kim Rich
Little Walk Home, a (2002) [Short Story]
Author: Michael Armstrong
Rearrangements (2002) [Short Story]
Author: Anne Perry
Twin, the (2002) [Short Story]
Author: Brad Reynolds
Losing Streak (2002) [Short Story]
Author: Sue Henry
War Can Be Murder (2002) [Short Story]
Author: Mike Doogan
Cheechako (2002) [Short Story]
Author: Dana Stabenow
Going Home (2002) [Short Story]
Author: S.J. Rozan