Edited by: Rosemary Herbert
The sea itself has always been a mystery--cold, dark, vast, and unfathomable--indifferent to human wishes and perilous to the ill-prepared. So what more appropriate setting for the ultimate human mystery, the seemingly unsolvable murder.
In Murder on Deck! Rosemary Herbert proves that the opulence of the cruise ship and seaside resort has attracted some of the greatest writers in the genre. From Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, and Viola Brothers Shore to William Faulkner, Ellery Queen, John Mortimer, Susan Moody, and many others, Murder on Deck! offers 25 stories that plumb the depths of ghastly crimes. Many of these stories take place on luxury liners, or holiday shorelines, where mostly privileged vacationers have sought a pleasant and highly civilized escape from their daily lives. Imagine their chagrin when murder is thrust into their midst and the high tide of anxiety rolls in. Our detectives, too, are often on vacation, taking time off from pondering the impenetrable and are thus forced into a busman's holiday of restoring order and calm to a shattered idyll. In addition to acclaimed stories in English, Murder on Deck! sails into international waters with stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia), Saho Sasazawa (Japan), and for the first time ever in English, Chris Rippen (The Netherlands). Dutch author Janwillem van de Wetering rewrote his 1985 story "Messing About in Boats," especially for this anthology.
A marvelous collection for the mystery lover or armchair traveler, and perfect reading for any vacation, especially the ocean cruise or trip to the beach, Murder on Deck! weighs anchor and heads for the high seas of unforgettable intrigue and watertight suspense.
- The "Gloria Scott" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Ship’s Run by M. McDonnell Bodkin
- The Mackenzie Case by Viola Brothers Shore
- Problem at Sea by Agatha Christie
- Sail by Lester Dent
- Hand Upon the Waters by William Faulkner
- The Boat Race Murder by David Winser
- The Adventure of the Murdered Ship by Ellery Queen
- Two Bodies on a Barge by Georges Simenon
- Invisible Hands by John Dickson Carr
- The Sailing Club by David Ely
- Honeymoon Cruise by Richard Deming
- The Last Voyage of the Ghost Ship by Gabriel García Márquez
- Invitation from the Sea by Saho Sasazawa
- Where Is Thy Sting? by Peter Lovesey
- The Theft of the Bingo Card by Edward D. Hoch
- Rumpole at Sea by John Mortimer
- Oh, Who Hath Done This Deed? by Susan Moody
- The Man Who Rowed for the Shore by Catherine Aird
- Messing About in Boats by Janwillem van de Wetering
- With a Little Help from My Friends by Martin Edwards
- Ferry Noir by Chris Rippen
Original title: Murder on Deck!
Genre: Fiction→ Crime and Mystery→ Detective Story and Detectives
The following works are contained within this one:
Where Is Thy Sting? (1988) [Short Story]
Author: Peter Lovesey
Theft of the Bingo Card, the (1990) [Short Story]
Author: Edward D. Hoch