View all 1 Images
Rating: Weighted - 7.36 / Average - 6.3 of 10 (3 votes)
Comments: 0 (show them)
Kristiana Gregory was born in Los Angeles, California. She attended both public and private schools out on the West Coast and New Mexico. She always wanted to be a writer and received her first rejection letter (for a poem) at age 11.
After graduating from high school, she began taking a variety of college courses and jobs that provided experiences for her writing career. Foremost were her positions as a daily newspaper reporter and as a book reviewer for the Los Angeles Times. In these jobs she met her writing mentors, Charlie Ferrell and Art Seidenbaum, both compassionate and thoughtful men.
Kristiana's first book, Jenny of the Tetons, was published in 1989 and won the Golden Kite Award for best children's fiction. Her third book for Scholastic, The Winter of Red Snow: The Revolutionary War Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1777, published in 1996, helped launch the popular Dear America Series.
Scholastic published her second book in the series, Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary of Hattie Campbell, in 1997. Since then Kristiana has written several more Dear America books, including Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, one of the first in the Royal Diary series. She has also written several books about the Old West and California history. Earthquake at Dawn, her book about the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, won the 1993 California Book Award for best juvenile fiction.
Married for 20 years, she lives in Boise, Idaho with her husband, their two teenage sons and two golden retrievers. When writing books, she enjoys taking long walks with her furry companions to help her sort out ideas. When in between writing projects, she vows to learn how to cook and play golf. Minor progress has been made so far. She is an avid reader of historical fiction.
- Jenny of the Tetons (1989)
- Legend of Jimmy Spoon, the (1990)
- Earthquake at Dawn (1992)
- Jimmy Spoon and the Pony Express (1994)
- Stowaway, the: A Tale of California Pirates (1995)
- Winter of Red Snow, the: The Revolutionary War Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1777 (1996)
- Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie: The Oregon Trail Diary of Hattie Campbell, 1847 (1997)
- Orphan Runaways (1998)
- Great Railroad Race, the: The Diary of Libby West, Utah Territory, 1868 (1999)
- Cleopatra VII: Daughter of the Nile, Egypt, 57 B.C. (1999)
- Five Smooth Stones: Hope's Revolutionary War Diary, Book One (2000)
- Seeds of Hope: The Gold Rush Diary of Susanna Fairchild, California Territory, 1849 (2001)
- Eleanor: Crown Jewel of Aquitaine, France, 1136 (2002)
- We Are Patriots: Hope's Revolutionary War Diary, Book Two (2002)
- Journey of Faith, a (2003)
- Grateful Harvest, a (2003)